06 February 2006
Sony Ericsson Updates P990 Smartphone!
Sony Ericsson today revealed a host of unannounced applications and entertainment content features for its flagship Wi-Fi enabled UMTS smartphone, the P990, which was introduced to the Global Developers community in October 2005 They include: Details on supported push email partners; Anti-virus/Firewall and VPN clients for secure corporate business; Business card scanner; New entertainment content and features.
The P990 is the next in a line of successful Sony Ericsson smartphones - the P800, P900 and P910 – and is based on the same proven concept and recognisable form factor. It is designed to be first and foremost a great mobile phone but offers all the benefits of UMTS including video calling, high-bandwidth multi-media downloads and the ability to browse the Internet with full HTML pages. These are viewed in landscape on the new Opera 8 browser.
“The P990 is a very significant new product for us. It’s a sophisticated device that gets us to the point where mobile executives can really start to minimize on the number of devices and paperwork they carry around with them,” says Jan Wäreby, Corporate Executive Vice President, Head of Sales and Marketing, Sony Ericsson. “The push email capability especially helps to bring true business mobility and we have deployed technology and formed partnerships to ensure that mobile email and web browsing access is provided in a safe, secure and fast environment.”
Secure, simple and fast access to email and the Internet are critical requirements for true office mobility, and this is an area where the P990 excels. The ability to access email and calendar while out of the office is critical for mobile executives as they no longer need to return to the office to perform this task. The P990 will support a range of push email services from the partners listed below:
Ericsson Mobile Office (EMO) (Try and Buy)
Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
RIM - BlackBerry Connect
Standard Email - IMAP IDLE working on all standards compliant servers
Sony Ericsson has partnered with antivirus software giant McAfee to offer McAfee VirusScan and Firewall Mobile to further strengthen the P990’s email and web browsing security. This Try & Buy software provides scanning services on emails, attachments and web downloads for cellular communications, all to the same standard as its well known computer applications. Secure access to corporate networks completes the remote email story as Sony Ericsson offers a free VPN client powered by Certicom.
Business Card Scanner
Cameras in phones have any number of business applications for capturing and sharing images. Creative minds have moved a few steps further by turning the P990’s 2 Megapixel with AutoFocus camera into a Business Card Scanner, using character recognition software to convert the scanned information from the card to Contacts on your P990.
The large 2.8 inch QVGA (262K TFT) touch screen and large viewfinder help you to capture the full business card size in one go.
P990 users are expected to spend a fair amount of their time travelling on business and more has been added to the smartphone to make this ‘downtime’ in their working life as relaxing or entertaining as required. The P990’s suite of entertainment applications is supported by a 3D Hardware Accelerator and exciting 3D Java games such as Vijay Singh Pro Golf 2005 from Gameloft, which will lighten up the longest journeys together with a fully equipped music player that supports MP3, AAC and AAC+ formats, and includes a flight mode allowing the music player to be used when the phone is switched off.
The broadest possible choice of new applications for the P990 will be available at launch from the Sony Ericsson Application Shop. The Application Shop is an important part of the Try & Buy concept. It will feature the full versions of the trial applications that are preloaded on the Memory Stick of the P990, included in the box. With the new mobile storefront, applications can be purchased directly from the phone and downloaded over-the-air.
The P990 will be commercially available in Q2 2006. The variants will be:
P990i Dual mode UMTS (2100MHz) - GPRS 900/1800/1900 for Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, Africa
P990c Dual mode UMTS (2100MHz) - GPRS 900/1800/1900 for Mainland China. (Launch for mainland China dependant on availability of 3G services.)
- Function or feature, P990 support
- Operating system - Symbian OS v9.1
- Software platform - UIQ v3.0
- Size - 114 x 57 x 25
- Weight - 155g with battery and flip keyboard
- Screen - Large 2.8 inch QVGA (240 x 320) touch screen with
- 262 k colours that supports landscape view for camera, videoimaging and browsing
- Interaction - Using touch screen, 3 way Jog Dial and dedicated buttons
- WLAN - 802.11b compliant
- Bluetooth - Includes car handsfree profile
- Infrared - Yes
- USB - Yes and charging via USB
- UMTS - E-GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900 and UMTS 2100
- Application memory - Up to 80 MB user free memory
- Camera - Integrated 2 megapixel CommuniCorder 24 bit colour depth, autofocus for still pictures, video clip recording and video calls
- Video telephony - Application included which allows video calls and video conferencing via the built-in dual cameras
- Media player - Supports playback, streaming and playlists
- Activity menu - Customizable top level menu
- Upgradeable - Via Sony Ericsson Update Service
- FM/RDS radio - Yes
- Push email - Prepared for all major e-mail solutions including Research in Motion (Blackberry)
- Messaging - SMS, MMS and email
- PIM applications - Contacts, Calendar, To Do, Jotter for notes and sketches, Voice memo and Calculator, Converter, Stop Watch and Timer
- Viewers - Microsoft Excel. Word, Powerpoint and Adobe PDF
- Editors - Microsoft Word and Excel
- Themes - Easy personalisation of animated icons, screensavers, wallpapers and skins
- Speaker phone - Yes
- Memory Stick - Memory Stick PRO Duo slot for up to 4 GB removable memory. 64 MB supplied
- Flight mode - Includes option to turn Wi-Fi on
- Local and remote synchronisation - via SyncML
- Business telephony - Yes
- Java™ ME platform support - Both CDC and CLDC environments supported:
JTWI 1.0 (JSR-185) consisting of Connected Limited DeviceConfiguration (CLDC) 1.1 HI (JSR-139), MIDP 2.0 (JSR-118), WMA 1.1 (JSR-120). - PDA Optional Packages (JSR-75), Bluetooth (JSR-82), Wireless Messaging API 2.0 (JSR-205), Web Services (JSR-172), Mobile Media API (JSR-135), Mobile 3D Graphics (JSR-184), Nokia UI API 1.1
Connected Device Configuration (CDC) 1.0 (JSR-36) - Foundation Profile 1.0 (JSR-46), Personal Profile 1.0 (JSR-62),PDA Optional Packages (JSR-75)
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications serves the global communications market with innovative and feature-rich mobile phones, accessories, PC-cards and M2M solutions. Established as a joint venture by Ericsson and Sony in 2001, with head quarters in London, the company employs 5,000 people worldwide, including R&D sites in Europe, Japan, China and America. For more information, please visit www.sonyericsson.com
Sony Ericsson Developer World is a global support program and web portal dedicated to helping wireless developers achieve business success by providing the documentation, tools, training, technical and go-to-market support they need in their development process. Sony Ericsson Developer World helps developers get on the fast track from mind to market, thereby ensuring that a constant stream of fun, useful and innovative content and applications is available for Sony Ericsson phones. www.sonyericsson.com/developer