Login

New Series 60 3rd edition-fp-1 FOTA at last

Miscellaneous stuff like wallpapers, themes, clips, fonts, icons, etc...

Postby vineetpaul » 24 May 2006, 20:52

S60 3rd Edition is the newest generation of the world's leading smartphone software. S60 3rd Edition adds a host of fresh features while retaining those from the 2nd Edition. In addition, the 3rd Edition introduces a new level of flexibility and security into the platform, enabling manufacturers to create devices aimed at mass markets. The S60 platform therefore provides an open, secure, and scalable business opportunity to mobile operators and third-party developers.

S60 3rd Edition feature pack 1 introduces new features such as Firmware upgrade Over The Air (FOTA) and a new open-source browser. FOTA enables software upgrades to be performed over the air, initiated by either the user or operator. In addition to these, feature pack 1 also provides a flexible XML-based framework for UI customization and improvements in performance.

Series 60 Platform More info at
Code: Select all
http://www.s60.com/business/productinfo/softwareversions/3rdedition

Via:s60.com

Vineet

Mobile guru
Mobile guru

Postby marty3 » 24 May 2006, 21:06

very intresting :P again, nice find bro :yeah: this is very intresting pdf file from the link you found :yeah:
Code: Select all
http://www.s60.com/pics/pdf/S60_3rd_Ed_2006.pdf
Last edited by marty3 on 24 May 2006, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
Please Read Our Forum Rules
.: [ VIP ]:.

Phone model: Nokia 5800

Firmware: Latest

Postby vineetpaul » 24 May 2006, 21:12

marty3 wrote:very intresting :Pthis is very intresting pdf file
It is just going through it
marty3 wrote:again, nice find bro :yeah:
Thanx Bro :D

Vineet
Mobile guru
Mobile guru

Postby Apocalypso » 25 May 2006, 05:25

But the most important thing is fact that there isn?t phone with the FP1 :( :cry: :?

First devices based on S60 3rd Ed., FP1 are yet to be announced :hm:

AFAIK even just announced phones doesn?t comes with the FP1 :evil:
:arrow: Read rules
:arrow: Try search feature
:arrow: Take a look at unanswered posts
=========================
Don't take life toooo seriously, you're not going to survive it anyway ;)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vineetpaul » 25 May 2006, 08:49

You are right Teo none of the current phones is having FP1 :evil: i was reading the pdf it says FP1 will also use new s60 symbian 9.2 OS so no chance we will get these phones in near future may be next wave of Nseries in mid next year :cry:
Mobile guru
Mobile guru

Postby leonard » 26 May 2006, 19:21

Something taken directly from one of the S60 blogs:
Software tends to bloat over time. It has happened to PC software and it seems to be happening to our product. I?m actually very proud when there is courage in the organization to drop some old features and I want to encourage doing it more often, especially when better usability is achieved. One example is dropping of Wallet application. Now we have also decided to drop resolution support for 176x208 and double of that from 3rd Edition FP1 onward. QVGA is becoming widely used standard resolution in smartphones. Display component prices are dropping and supporting reduced set of resolutions makes life in platform development easier, less verification and testing and I?m sure it helps also in 3rd party application development and testing.

There is an inbuilt scalable UI framework in the platform need for it is not going away. Market demand is for higher resolutions such as HVGA and VGA and platform is developing to this direction. We also have to keep in mind that platform is flexible and our customers, licensees, can finally implement something different and use scalability function. Nokia 5500 is a good example about this. It has 208x208 display resolution.

I see feature dropping, SW cleaning, very positively. Then there is solid ground to build up new functionality. To bloat it again someone would say.
Junior
Junior

Postby jagga » 28 May 2006, 03:17

An interesting thing I'd like to argue is to quote the thread OP.
S60 3rd Edition feature pack 1 introduces new features such as Firmware upgrade Over The Air (FOTA) and a new open-source browser.

The N80/3250/E61/E60/E70/N92/N93 ALL have the new Open-Source browser developed by Apple & Nokia based on khtml code and other web-standards. I thought that ALL these phones were already S60 3RD Edition FP1!

I just hope that they all can be firmware updated over USB to include FP1; would be the biggest rip off to find out they're not.

Just as long as they make a sleeker version of the N93 & the N80 with FP1 then it'll be worth it.
Mobile guru
Mobile guru

Postby Geohound » 28 May 2006, 06:59

yeah as awesome as n93 is, it wont have fp1? :S
hmm they still need to make S series or OMG series (S series is just a rumour, and OMG series is something i made up :P to those not knowing)
for me to change my oppinion about n93 :lol:
VERY VERY INACTIVE!
N-Gages Battery is DEAD :(

PM Me to get an actual reply xD
I will answer 100% :P
Mobile guru
Mobile guru

Postby Apocalypso » 28 May 2006, 09:10

Once again AFAIK there is no phone with FP1 or FOTA at the moment and its very well known fact that it can?t be added by flashing. .. ..

I just hope that N93 will brings FP1 but I?m not so optimistic about, mainly coze I read somewhere that FP1 is related and comes together with OS 9.2 :hm:
:arrow: Read rules
:arrow: Try search feature
:arrow: Take a look at unanswered posts
=========================
Don't take life toooo seriously, you're not going to survive it anyway ;)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby marty3 » 28 May 2006, 10:39

im not really bothered about it to be perfectly honest :hm: i mean with the current specs of the n93 its enough :love: in fact its pretty dam perfect :lol: so i dont mind taking n93 to NSC for firmware updates.. usb flashing may be possible on it anyway :hm:
Please Read Our Forum Rules

Phone model: Nokia 5800

Firmware: Latest

Return to SF Miscellaneous