Login

Nokia Research Center puts Mobile Millennium in gear to help

Miscellaneous stuff like wallpapers, themes, clips, fonts, icons, etc...

Postby Apocalypso » 10 Nov 2008, 16:40

Large scale public pilot to gather and analyze traffic information using GPS-enabled mobile devices

Nokia today launched Mobile Millennium, a public pilot that will collect and study traffic data received from GPS-enabled mobile devices, such as the Nokia N96, Nokia N95 and Nokia E71.

As part of its open innovation model, Nokia Research Center is collaborating with UC Berkeley's California Center for Innovative Transportation, the California Department of Transportation and NAVTEQ to design, execute and analyze the traffic system.

Based in part on the results of an earlier experiment, Nokia believes that a community of users with GPS-equipped mobile devices can help reduce traffic and the amount of time spent on the road.

Providing real-time information about traffic congestion helps drivers make more informed decisions - such as whether to take alternative routes, public transport or reschedule their journ... .. .

Read more:
Image Nokia today launched Mobile Millennium - full story

Sincerely yours,
Teo

:arrow: Read rules
:arrow: Try search feature
:arrow: Take a look at unanswered posts
=========================
Don't take life toooo seriously, you're not going to survive it anyway ;)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Snowy101 » 11 Nov 2008, 03:17

TEO u bastard! (Naw just jokking) :P
I was waiting till it was officialy annouced after the weekend to post it up, i taught it woulda flew under the radar, but good it didnt :)
I should have went to berkely for the event but was too lazy 8)
Anyhow didnt get a chance to try it out, but will post back when i do.
I think i remember readin about half-a-year ago, finally up an runnin. :)
Symbian Freak
Symbian Freak

Phone model: n85 & nexus one

Firmware: v31

Postby Apocalypso » 11 Nov 2008, 06:31

He, he, :evil:

Yep, I wrote about few times already and it will be really great if you'll be able to post some info from the first hand :yeah:

Teo
:arrow: Read rules
:arrow: Try search feature
:arrow: Take a look at unanswered posts
=========================
Don't take life toooo seriously, you're not going to survive it anyway ;)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SELVA » 11 Nov 2008, 07:05

Unwittingly Nokia has given a good movie plot The terrorist hacks through the 'Privacy striping ' code and traces out the where abouts of the US PRESIDENT who as usual is on the mission to save Earth -then the terrorist uses GPS guided missile and so goes the story.... Any one thought of battery drain?
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Snowy101 » 11 Dec 2008, 11:38

Hey im late but better than never.

Its a cool application. Ive takin screen shots an uploaded them to Ovi, better than taking up bandwidth here. It was not possible to take screenshots, probably privacy issues, But like any other freak i found a work around :wink:
http://share.ovi.com/channel/Snowy.NokiaMobileMill

Everything is basically self-explained in the pictures, i left a label that coordinates with the choice of setting. This is just so you can get a better view an concept.

Java app, that is stable, but poor GPS lock, im not certain if it uses AGPS.
It works 2 ways, providing you your location, with a map view.
Second it reports traffic to you, similar to google maps, But in addition of just reporting to you from your avg traffic scanners, it implements the Mobile Millennium data it is collecting from mobile devices. Increasing your highway traffic and regular street traffic accuracy. With an added feature of requesting a traffic report, by downloading the latest radiocast from your area. They didnt finish there, and an up and coming feature to support sms reports, based on your route schedule.

Besides displaying a map, you are given the choice to select no map, enabling you to conserve on data download and power. This is my preferred favorite, not because of data, im on unlimited, but to conserve power and cpu consumption.

An option to display incident icon on the map, to show possibly a car accident or deb re on the road, ultimately saving yourself time by re-routing and resulting in avoiding a delay.

I supply data to the project, while im supplied with traffic update.
There are still some unanswered questions to this project, maybe later more information will be given. A forum is also open for questions, suggestions, and contribution.

If you are in the Bay, definitely support this project :)
Symbian Freak
Symbian Freak

Phone model: n85 & nexus one

Firmware: v31

Return to SF Miscellaneous