Login

The Official Death of the Symbian UIQ Platform!?

General UIQ section; latest news for UIQ smart phones, hardware stuff, modding, etc

Postby Apocalypso » 23 Oct 2008, 15:32

The UIQ Is Dead, Long Live the Symbian Foundation!

I?ve already informed you that UIQ is less or more dead and that Sony Eriksson has started layoff around 200 employers from the UIQ department and will seek new business lines after its owners decided to merge its software with the Symbian and port the selected UIQ technologies to Nokia S60 to provide a royalty-free open platform!

To make the situation even worse for the UIQ fans, they have cancelled two recently leaked UIQ Smartphones, very promising Sony Ericsson P5 with the code name Paris and the mid-range SE G702 also known as BeiBei but without any official word from either UIQ or the Sony Ericsson!

However, thanks to the Symbian Smartphone Show everything is quite clear now and it seems that Sony Ericsson has finally and officially confirmed that UIQ platform is dead! Sony Ericsson's Patr... .. .

Read more:
Image Official Death of UIQ platform - full story

Sincerely yours,
Teo

:arrow: Read rules
:arrow: Try search feature
:arrow: Take a look at unanswered posts
=========================
Don't take life toooo seriously, you're not going to survive it anyway ;)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daniel Morales » 23 Oct 2008, 15:45

[Nelson]HA-HA![/Nelson] :D
Junior
Junior

Postby ares07 » 23 Oct 2008, 16:28

wtf are you laughing about???

btw, this is nothing that was not expected...since the symbian foundation news, this was meant to happen

anyway...UIQ is not dead has a platform...it will be on 1 year/2 years...software is still being made, phones are still being manufactured and sold

anyway, i should move to SF/s60 v5 too, next year, first maybe to a 5800, then to whatever SE will make - if they use their ex-UIQ enginneers to make an UI more with UIQ touches, and different from Nokia?s
uiqblog.com
Junior
Junior

Postby Apocalypso » 23 Oct 2008, 16:52

Hi Ares,

Nice 2 C U here, hope you?ll be around more often once when the foundation gets its first devices.

Well I mostly agree with U, this is not surprising news, just an official confirmation as I said in the article.

Anyway, I think you should switch to 5th ed device to learn how to get the most from the S60 platform while we are waiting for the first Foundation OS which will be based on the S60 platform extended with the best solutions from UIQ and MOPA platform. Tube looks like the pretty good solution especially considering its price and you?ll be able to easier switch to S60 platform because 5th ed is touch optimized as well.

Teo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ares07 » 23 Oct 2008, 17:18

Well, i?m sad for UIQ, i feel it was better than s60 if SE invested like Nokia did on s60

However it will be cool to see all of us using the same apps...there some really cool and inovative UIQ devs that will start developing for S60 v5/SF soon, so i will fell more at home
uiqblog.com
Junior
Junior

Postby Apocalypso » 23 Oct 2008, 17:51

I think that Foundation is good for both UIQ and S60 and decision to make only one platform on top of Symbian OS will attract even more developers and users!
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Anarion » 23 Oct 2008, 18:03

It is inevitable, Mr. Anderson. 8)
Veteran
Veteran

Phone model: Nokia N80

Firmware: V 5.0719.0.2

Postby Snowy101 » 24 Oct 2008, 00:34

Moto loosers HAHHAHA.
Symbian Freak
Symbian Freak