Login

Why Symbian AND MeeGo Are Best For Nokia

Miscellaneous stuff like wallpapers, themes, clips, fonts, icons, etc...

Postby wildoogg » 06 Jul 2010, 17:37

I think that symbian is the best OS when i comes to functionality.
Have you ever tested android to see how it performs? I have. ON Sony ericsson X10 and Samsung Galaxy. It doesn even have a file manager. The internet pages do not load like they would on a PC but on 5800 90% of them do. I think it doesn't have flash player because the flash on youtube or other pages does not load. If memory card is not inserted the phone is useless (android phones do not have a usable internal memory meaning no media,no download ,no aplications without micro sd card). I dont't know much about windows phone but the apps on that OS are fewer than the apps on symbian. Nokia messed up with symbian 1 because they didn't integrate a Graphics accelerator in to their phones for high quality games and apps. Leaving only three thoch screen phones with Graphics accelerator (SE Satio,SE VIVAZ,Omnia HD)running on symbian witch I don't think developers bother to make cool apps like Android, Iphone... because not many people have those 3 phones.Symbian 3 UI runs using Graphics accelerator so I think all future phones will have it.Why don't we wait to see how symbian 3 works out and then complain.

Rookie
Rookie

Phone model: Nokia 5800

Postby labalbi » 06 Jul 2010, 17:53

Are you insane ? Android and Iphone have tons of apps . Much more than Symbian.
And I mean , the good ones. Ovi is crowded with trash , apps about news or point-to-website like.
Wanna useful apps for GTD (Getting Things Done )? You dont have it .
Wanna useful financial calculator like HP-12c ? You dont have it.
What about prices ? Yes , the apps prices are so high compared with Iphone´s . Its sad.
We can even star the discussion about games . Apple destroys in this area.
What in the name of love , Nokia did with N-gage (games + community)? What ? What ?
Abandoned that ! Put years of effort on trash bin !!!!
What I do with my N82 graphic processor ? Nothing !!!
Nokia comes to public to say xenon flash in not necessary (N86) and now they just realized how wrong they were .

Lets someone starts the discussion about the signing process . One of the major absurds ever , ever made in the history of mobile computing .
They showed us the N8 just no say "We are leaving this OS in a very short future " . What´s that ? A joke ?
You know, sometimes I believe in what many good people are saying "nokia is being sabotaged from the inside out" .
Anyway...Im still posting here 'cause in the end is hard to believe such a company failing like this ...
Its sad...
Come to Smart Side of The Force : We have cookies !
http://share.ovi.com/album/labalbi.public
Veteran
Veteran

Postby e_lm_70 » 06 Jul 2010, 18:23

flotron wrote:I'm a big nokia fan too, since 6600 but i think we must have patience in this great transition...

But the real thing is that nokia don't innovate since n95 launch.

Nokia stocks are at the lowest level since 10+ years ...

Even assuming that this is a speculation effect ... this tell everything about what people in average think about the Nokia skills to be innovative and market leader

I did discover about Ricky due to a mention from a Nokia executive ... I google it ... and I find his "pathetic" letter about bye bye Nokia and welcome Android ... lot of bla bla bla ... and no content ... only ... "got piss by N97, that need a total reset and 2h installation after for keep it alive" ...

Still the true, nobody is saying much and open ...

After the N95, Nokia did nothing, ok we had N900 (but was it properly promoted to the market ?) ... not only nothing but also big mistakes have been done:
- Symbian S60 is not so bad, but there have been many advance feature in S80, why they never port to S60 when they decide to kill S80 ?
- Symbian S60 5th Edition, will be perfect, if ... if there will be a qwerty touch keyboard, instead of "out of mind" 12 digit, T9 or multi pressing touch keyboard ... this alone say that there is some virus affecting the mind of multiple people in Nokia and Symbian ... as well ... the touch ... is very fuzzy ... it is not known if a single touch is a selection only ... or it is also the click and activation ...

With N96 (nothing new compared to N95, and actually some step back) ... with N97 that had tons of problems.

Also N900 is not perfect ... why on hell the N900 with a CPU that can run 1Ghz in other devices ... is blocked by Nokia to 600MHz ??? Hacker show a modified kernel that is very safe at least for use the CPU at 800Mhz ... so +40% performance for free . wasted by Nokia ...

Then the story of N8, the only Symbian 3 for series N ... future is MeeGo

Then ... crazy decision ... example ... E55 has 600Mhz, Graphic HW accelerator, DLNA and VoIP ... so faster HW and better multimadia SW then N97 ... how is this possible ? :pcguru:

Why N95 in 2007 was offering DLNA ... the perfect way to bring photo and video done with the phone, in the home HD TV (already common everywhere) without cable with just 1 click ... (I did test with my E55, and I miss this on my N97 mini) ... and now in N8 ... instead of sponsoring DLNA ... they make this wonderful mini HDMI ???

Do you see your self go around with a mini HDMI cable ? ... do you see your self standing 1m far from a 40 inch TV for navigate the mobile phone stuck over an uncomfortable cable ?

I just test one a TV Cable with my old N93 ... realized that output quality was 320x240 in TV mode, also for show pictures done with 3M pixel camera ... then I put the cable somewhere and I lost even where it is ... totally useless ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Finally ... Nokia needs to stream line their different mobile phone with different and not compatible OS ... think of Fring ... they need tons of difference version for support the most common Nokia phones ... and still some are not supported and some are having a partial support ... Fring is doing 1 software and try to maximize as much as possible the support base ... now ... other developer cant simply cover all the Nokia phones ... and do to the segmentation of incompatibility ... clearly ... people invest in different environments ..
Veteran
Veteran

Postby maiken » 06 Jul 2010, 18:34

Nokias problem with any "comeback" is BRAND. Owning a Nokia is not as "cool" as owning an iPhone or the latest Andriod.

Cool is so important that many of todays young people will put up with crap battery life and phone operation as long as the BRAND is Apple or Google.

At least thats the case here in the US.
Rookie
Rookie

Postby flotron » 06 Jul 2010, 19:25

I don't like that Silicon Valley craps... Iphone, Android.. A marketing and money labyrinth and nothing of "expediency".

If you think that Nokia fouls you with n96... What do you think about Steve Jobs with Iphone, Iphone 3G, Iphone 3GS, Iphone G4 (all the same craps) oh.. wait a minute i forgot the other same crap but bigger.. IPAD!
Theme Artist
Theme Artist

Phone model: n82

Firmware: last always

Postby AJ___92 » 06 Jul 2010, 20:12

now you opened my eyes :D
Developer
Developer

Phone model: N8

Firmware: hacked Belle

Postby shazada » 07 Jul 2010, 00:12

I think the best Symbian phones Nokia made were the 6600, then the quicker 6630 and finally N95 8GB.

Now.......I'm running with a crappy N97 with some widgets, they work fine, but my phone is soo slow that the 6630 was 10 times faster in loading apps.

Instead of just going with the flow and putting some 'huge' HW specs in the new phones Nokia sticks to his low HW. I mean give that N97 a snapdragon and 3 times the RAM and it'll fly. literally fly.

And for the record.......I don't know that much about android and IOSx.....but I now this why do developers choose those software above symbian to develop apps.
I'm a plain hardcore Java developer. Why did I choose Java above C or C++ --> Because it's efficient and much easier to develop.

So why do developers choose those other software platforms to develop, because it's quicker to develop in Android than in Symbian.

Even I'm thinking about switching to the Iphone or an Android phone. Not because they look 'cool' or I want to mingle, but because they have a ton of more apps laying around AND I can actually build quickly apps myself :).
BodyBuilding
190HP Diesel :D
Rookie
Rookie

Postby flotron » 07 Jul 2010, 00:31

shazada wrote:I think the best Symbian phones Nokia made were the 6600, then the quicker 6630 and finally N95 8GB.

Now.......I'm running with a crappy N97 with some widgets, they work fine, but my phone is soo slow that the 6630 was 10 times faster in loading apps.

Instead of just going with the flow and putting some 'huge' HW specs in the new phones Nokia sticks to his low HW. I mean give that N97 a snapdragon and 3 times the RAM and it'll fly. literally fly.

And for the record.......I don't know that much about android and IOSx.....but I now this why do developers choose those software above symbian to develop apps.
I'm a plain hardcore Java developer. Why did I choose Java above C or C++ --> Because it's efficient and much easier to develop.

So why do developers choose those other software platforms to develop, because it's quicker to develop in Android than in Symbian.

Even I'm thinking about switching to the Iphone or an Android phone. Not because they look 'cool' or I want to mingle, but because they have a ton of more apps laying around AND I can actually build quickly apps myself :).

I don't know nothing about programming but i now that java applications sucks :lol:
Theme Artist
Theme Artist

Phone model: n82

Firmware: last always

Postby heyshifty387 » 07 Jul 2010, 03:54

The article have a very good and valid arguement, but there are some serious problems with Nokia.

We all know the n95, and we all know it is great. But why was it so great? At the release of the n95 it was the first phone to have a 5mp camera. First phone to have a gps. First phone to have an accelerometer. First phone to have a unique dual slide mechanism. There are probably a few more first that I,ve left out but you get the idea.

The n95 was a state of the art equipment with more feature than an user can even dream of and that phone was a mega success. Recall there was a problem with memory, the next n95 8gb addressed that problem by doubling the memory and made the screen even bigger. =)

That was when Nokia was under the old management team. The new team is really bull crap.

Yes, symbian is a great os that can make the best use of resources, but that doesn't matter single bit to consumers. When you look at phones and see them priced around the same and one work better than the other that's all they care. And at the moment symbian is failing to meet the user 'expectation'.

I don't think nokia or symbian is dead, but management sure stink like crap. Year after year of cheap under power hardware that even cripple the most efficient mobile os is a sad scene. The company needs to put more than the bare minimum on their phone. Whatever forumla they are using to calculate the hardwAre minimum requirement they need to double it.

This is from somebody that brought a crap load of nokia stock and still holding on.
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Nokia 5700 » 07 Jul 2010, 07:27

That Symbian is less popular now is noticable, yes.
But so far it hasnt been like "Oh wow!" and the Nokia phones have been kinda disappointing.
When i used Nokia 5800, my friends said: that screen is rock-hard, dude!
I didnt notice that until i got N900. An apple-guy in class was impressed by the screen, as its pretty sensitive and close to being capacitive.
While my 5800? The screen IS hard the press. It annoys me when i use it now.

Now when i se N900, i have belief that Nokia can do better. This phone has a lot to offer, like powerful hardware and exciting software. When they have refined it in MeeGo, this will be a lot better then iphone and Android IMO.
And all of the software previews of MeeGo show the most beautifil OS, now lets hope it gets released in the same state and as good looking on a Nokia-device.
Paddling a sinking boat is harder then getting another one. :roll:
No ideas for signature again :)

Phone model: Nokia N900 - Samsung Galaxy S III

Firmware: CSSU - Cyanogenmod 10.2

Return to MF Miscellaneous