Login

Virus Changing My Icons??

Look here for info and reviews on viruses and of course how to remove them..

Postby jeremylwf » 17 Mar 2006, 08:29

i just wanted to try a trial anti virus software from an unknown webpage but it is a virus, it will run the anti virus software till i my phone have no more ram space left and the phone just crash.
it also replace my icons with some funny icon not a skull picture so i hard format the phone by press *#7370# and it is back to normal now got no virus but will the virus corrpt my firmware? as last time something corrupted my firmware and it cause the battery to drain very fast so is it the virus which cost the battery to drain or is it something else?

Rookie
Rookie

Postby rulirahm » 17 Mar 2006, 08:46

The 'FirmWare' of a phone, goes to Z (ROM=Read Only Memory) drive. Use FExplorer to see it. As it state for 'Read Only', well just try to delete/move/copy some file on Z drive if u can :) Virus will affect ur phone memory and MMC.
Symbian Freak
Symbian Freak

Postby edifgrto™ » 17 Mar 2006, 08:47

jeremylwf wrote:i just wanted to try a trial anti virus software from an unknown webpage but it is a virus, it will run the anti virus software till i my phone have no more ram space left and the phone just crash.
it also replace my icons with some funny icon not a skull picture so i hard format the phone by press *#7370# and it is back to normal now got no virus but will the virus corrpt my firmware? as last time something corrupted my firmware and it cause the battery to drain very fast so is it the virus which cost the battery to drain or is it something else?

Hi mate,

Once affected by viruses... many weird thingy might happen. Thus, would be better to reformat it once and for all cleaning. hehehe, that is my method. :oops: Unless, we could clearly identify what virus type is that, and guess our dear Calvin would give us some guidelines. :wink:

By the way, I dun think virus would corrupt the phone's firmware, anyway I could be wrong on this. But reformatting can flush everything goes down to the drain... :rolf:
Last edited by edifgrto™ on 17 Mar 2006, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
Veteran
Veteran

Postby rulirahm » 17 Mar 2006, 08:49

BTW, welcome to SF jeremylwf, :beer: U've already ask ur question here:
Code: Select all
http://www.symbian-freak.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31763#31763
Please don't do double posting. Read the rules :wink:
Symbian Freak
Symbian Freak

Postby jeremylwf » 17 Mar 2006, 13:54

rulirahm I am sorry i will not do it again
Rookie
Rookie

Postby CALVIN » 17 Mar 2006, 15:26

@jeremylwf,

Firmware is somehow bundle inside the Z drive and so far, none of the Symbian virus that has reported it's capable damaging the phone's firmware. So, you need no worries much on this.

I'm glad you have solved your case. Anyway, could you send me a sample of your file that you try to install into your phone so that I could have a check, if it's new, I would add detection on it then.:lol:

Send the suspicious file to calvin@topplus.com.my

Thank you. :wink:
Last edited by CALVIN on 18 Mar 2006, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Veteran
Veteran

Postby rulirahm » 18 Mar 2006, 11:49

WOW :D Nice job CALVIN, long live the world of scientist, research & development 8) :beer:

If I got a new virus, I'll send it to u.
Symbian Freak
Symbian Freak

Postby CALVIN » 18 Mar 2006, 13:36

rulirahm wrote:WOW :D Nice job CALVIN, long live the world of scientist, research & development 8) :beer:

If I got a new virus, I'll send it to u.

Yes, I love to do research work!

Thank you rulirahm, it would be glad if there are more Symbian user like you . :lol:
Veteran
Veteran

Postby rulirahm » 18 Mar 2006, 13:46

:hmm:
May I know ur story about becoming a member of the world of 'Symbian'? Have a story/web site? Why that u're very interesting about Symbians virus CALVIN, by accidentally, following ur father jobs maybe?

Sorry 4 wrong thread :lol:
Symbian Freak
Symbian Freak

Postby cheerforit » 18 Mar 2006, 18:36

Haha..
His ambition is to be a pilot as well.
Anyway, i'm sure he can master any symbian virus and keep on helping us in future.
Symbian Freak
Symbian Freak

Return to Mobile Virology